6 Great Summer Pasta Recipes
Here at Pierino, we never get tired of chicken Alfredo or spaghetti and meatballs. But in the dog days of summer, a hot, heavy meal with rich sauces doesn’t hit the spot like it does during colder weather. As the thermometer starts inching up and you break out the shorts and sundresses, try lighter pasta dishes to keep you cool.
Here are some of our favorite summer pasta dishes:
- Penne with tomato pesto. This is a classic warm-weather pasta dish. By skipping heavy meats or thick sauces and opting for a zesty pesto, you can make a satisfying dish that will taste delicious on a hot summer day. Click here for one of our favorite recipes. You can’t go wrong with adding some onions or green peppers, either!
- Fettuccine with corn crema. Missing fettuccine Alfredo? The heavy, cheesy sauce can be a little much in the summer months, but there are a lot of tasty alternatives. You can get a similar effect without Alfredo sauce by mashing fresh corn into a smooth sauce. Add some scallions and you have a tried-and-tested crowd pleaser. Get the recipe for yourself right here.
- Pasta with chickpeas. If you’re worried about getting enough protein without meatballs or chicken, try adding chickpeas to some of your favorite pasta dishes. Tomatoes and chickpeas along with some seasonings make for a simple, but delicious lunch or dinner.
- Try seafood in your pasta! Another alternative to beef or chicken is seafood, which is lighter and goes well with a cold dish. Shrimp scampi with angel hair is one of our favorites, while lobster also goes well with some tomatoes and basil. If you’re looking for something a little creamier, here’s another great shrimp recipe.
- Think outside the plate and go for minestrone or another soup. On a hot summer day, a pasta soup served at room temperature or just slightly warm can taste great. Minestrone is an easy classic, and zucchini soup is also a crowd-pleaser.
- Try swapping out meatballs with turkey sausage. Turkey sausage is leaner and healthier, making it a savory substitute for hotter weather. Broccoli and turkey sausage is a healthy and satisfying pasta dish, though arugula and cherry tomatoes are hard to beat as a turkey complement.
Just because the weather’s getting warmer doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious pasta dish. Whether you’re making minestrone or shrimp scampi, Pierino offers the high-quality pasta to make your meal a winner. With several generations of experience under our belt, we know you’ll be hard-pressed to find better pasta for your summer recipes.
Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times