5 Twists on the Classic Spaghetti Recipe
Spaghetti and meatballs is a tried-and-tested crowd-pleaser. No matter who you’re having over for dinner, you can rest assured they’ll be happy with this classic dish, with some garlic bread on the side.
While we love spaghetti and meatballs as much as the next guy, we also have found some great recipes to switch it up and keep things interesting. If you’re looking for something with the same tasty pasta but a different flair, check out some of our favorite ideas for modifying everybody’s favorite dinner:
- Add some cilantro to the meatballs. This is a slight change you can make to your recipe that will make a big difference in flavor, but stays close enough to the original dish to please picky eaters. The cilantro gives the meatballs just enough of a kick to have everyone at the table asking what you did differently this time around to spice up the meal. Check it out right here.
- Italian meets Mexican. It might sound strange at first, but adding a Mexican flair to your spaghetti and meatballs is really quite tasty. Some tostadas, chili powders and peppers add an extra zest to the traditional Italian spices. In our opinion, whoever thought to combine these two culinary styles was a genius. Here’s a great recipe with turkey meatballs, or if you’re feeling even more adventurous, you can take it to a new level and make spaghetti tacos!
- Add some bacon. This is one of the more indulgent items on the list. Everybody loves bacon, and it pairs perfectly with spaghetti. Combined with some cheddar cheese rather than the traditional parmesan and a little extra hot sauce, you can change the dish enough to offer up something new while still not straying too far from a classic recipe. Some great inspiration can be found here.
- Turn it into a pie! This one doesn’t change the classic flavors and spices so much as repackage it differently, but it does add a delicious crust like in your favorite pies. Throw in a number of different cheeses, some meat, tomatoes, zucchini, and seasonings and you’ll have a delectable treat that will please any pasta fan. We’re partial to this
- Add more cheese by making cheese-stuffed meatballs. This one’s a no-brainer– you can’t go wrong with adding more cheese! Looking suspiciously like ordinary spaghetti and meatballs, your guests will be in for a delightful surprise when they take their first bite. There’s a step-by-step guide at this link.
Pierino makes pasta that is a perfect fit for your most inventive dishes as well as traditional spaghetti and meatballs. With state-of-the-art facilities and generations of experience, great pasta is a family tradition for us. Whatever pasta you’re planning on making, there’s no one better prepared to meet your needs than Pierino.
Photo Credit: Patricia Reitz at ButterYum